A bone graft is a surgical operation and the main pupose is fixing problems with bones or joints.
Bone grafting or transplanting of bone tissue is specifically used to fix bones that are damaged from trauma or problematic joints. In addition it is beneficial for growing bone around an implanted device like a total knee replacement caused by bone loss or a fracture. A bone graft may fill an area where bone is absent or provide structural stability.
The bone used in a bone graft can be obtained from your body or a donor, or it can be fully synthetic. If it is suitable for your boy and accepted, it may provide a framework where new, living bone can grow.
- Allograft is a bone obtained from a deceased donor or a cadaver that has been sterilized and stored in a tissue bank
- Autograft is a graft that obtained from your ribs, hips, pelvis, or wrist
- The graft type selection to be used depends on the injury that will be repaired by your surgeon.
- Bone grafts are convenient for in most adults who eventually undergo a dental implantation procedure.
ADVANTAGES OF BONE GRAFTS
- Support dentures and crowns
- Improve the size and shape of bone and gums at the graft
- Make your smile aesthetically more appealing
- Maintain the bone structure
- Restore the balance of face